Frequently Asked Questions Home > Parish Council >

As a Parish Council we receive many questions and requests, some of which arise quite frequently.

We’ve put together this page to provide information on the most common of these – if you think there is another topics that we have missed, please contact us.

What are the different roles of Escrick Parish Council, Selby District Council, and North Yorkshire County Council?

We realise this can be quite a confusing area - and sometimes need to double check things ourselves. The lists below covers a selection of the key roles that each council provides as a quick reference guide.

It is generally best to contact the relevant council directly for the issue concerned, and escalate via the appropriate Councillor if it is a policy issue or if you feel that it requires further escalation. Whilst the Parish Council can raise issues with other councils on behalf of residents - it is usually more efficient to raise the issues directly, which allows the other council to respond or seek clarification directly as necessary.

Escrick Parish Council

  • Lease & maintenance of Village Green and Playing Fields.
  • Some street lights (A19, Main St, Skipwith Rd, Wheldrake Dr, The Glade, Carr Lane, Hollicarrs Close).
  • Owns & maintains both war memorials, jubilee fountain and coronation benches.
  • Grass cutting of 'urban' grass verges within the Parish
  • Provision and filling of most of the grit bins in the village (Carr Lane, Main St, The Glade)
  • Owns and maintains village defibrillator
  • Local initiatives – e.g. installation of village defibrillator, community speed watch, spring clean, etc.
  • Provide local input into planning applications and external consultations.
  • Raise the profile of and lobby for action on significant issues – such as A19 safety.
  • Help support and initiate community initiatives.
  • Help communicate issues impacting local community.
  • Contact: See contact page
  • Councillor(s): See Councillors page

Selby District Council

  • Waste & recycling collections.
  • Street cleaning.
  • Planning (including the ‘Local Plan’ and deciding upon most planning applications).
  • Licenced premises and event licencing (and also food safety).
  • Environmental Health (including pest control, noise pollution and food outlets).
  • Dog fouling enforcement.
  • Electoral roll and council tax.
  • Social housing/housing benefits.
  • Provision of Selby & Tadcaster leisure centres.

North Yorkshire County Council

  • Waste/recycling centres.
  • Waste Disposal.
  • Planning applications relating to minerals and waste, or NYCC property (e.g. schools)
  • Some street lights (Dower Park, Dower Chase, Woodlands, Carrs Meadow, Escrick Park Gardens).
  • Highways (including drainage, gritting and vegetation obstructing the roads, pavements, signs & lighting (and the grit bin at Main St/Escrick Park Gardens)).
  • Grass cutting of 'rural' grass verges within the Parish
  • Schools (except those within City of York Council area).
  • Registry office functions.
  • Libraries & record offices.
  • Health & social care.
  • Trading standards.
  • Contact: See North Yorkshire County Council website
  • Councillor(s): See County Councillor Richard Musgrave

Other bodies:

  • The Parochial Church Council (often confused with the Parish Council) is responsible for the financial affairs of the church and the maintenance of its assets.
  • Nigel Adams MP is the current Member of Parliament for the Selby and Ainsty constituency which includes Escrick
  • North Yorkshire Police are responsible for policing in the Escrick area (tel: 101)
  • Maintenance/management of the beck in Escrick is managed by York Consortium Drainage Board
  • Water pollution & flooding: Environment Agency
  • Sewage and water leaks (e.g. sewage on the roads): Yorkshire Water - tel: 0345 1 24 24 24 (24 hour leaks line)
  • Electrical emergencies (e.g. powercuts or damaged power lines) - Northern Powergrid, tel: 105
  • The Escrick Park Estate is responsible for many of the permissive rights of way in the Parish, where these are on Estate land.

Bus service through the village

The Parish Council is very aware that many residents would prefer the 415 bus service to route via Main St and stop in the village, rather than straight down the A19.

The bus service to Escrick is deregulated and not subsidised – this means in practice neither the Parish Council nor County Council have any meaningful control over the routing and service frequency.

The Parish Council lobbied Arriva extensively when the service was first re-routed to bypass the village – and has even explored the opportunity of other services (such as those from Wheldrake) routing via Escrick. To date we have not been able to reinstate a bus service through the village, but it is an area we will continue to explore periodically as circumstances change.

We have put up signage on the disused bus stops to highlight that they are not in use, with a map showing where the buses now stop. We are aware that there are no facilities at the current bus stop, not even a bus-stop sign nor timetable and are pursuing the possibility of getting these installed with NYCC.

We have implemented a timetable and feed of real-time bus times on our website:

Some residents have express concerns about the punctuality and reliability of the bus service. The Office of the Traffic Commissioner has the power to fine bus companies if they do not operate the specified service within an acceptable level of punctuality. Punctuality targets are that 95% of services should between 1 minute early and 5 minutes late - more details are available on the Government website:

A19 traffic and Skipwith Road junction

The Parish Council is very aware of the various traffic related issues on the A19 and around the Skipwith Road junction in particular. Many of us find it difficult to cross the A19 as a pedestrian, and motorists find it difficult to get out onto the A19 from Skipwith Road and other side streets.

The Parish Council has raised the issues with North Yorkshire County Council on a number of occasions – and although North Yorkshire County Council has invested in ‘vehicle activated signs’ – we have been told the problems are not a priority for further investment from the limited funding available.

More recently (May 2016) the Parish Council has circulated a speed awareness questionnaire around the village, and is using this as a basis of a renewed formal request to North Yorkshire County Council and North Yorkshire Police for a reduction in the speed limit and further action to make it easier for pedestrians to cross the road.

This is an ongoing area for the Parish Council, see our dedicated page:


The Parish Council are aware of speeding concerns within the village. The Council has arranged for speed monitoring to be undertaken at least twice in recent years along Skipwith Road and Carr Lane. Results have found evidence of speeding problem on Skipwith Rd but did not find evidence of a significant problem along Carr Lane. Skipwith Road and the A19 are now designated sites for the police camera van. NYCC have put speed slowing measures into the village on Skipwith Rd, and have recently installed additional measures at the junction with Wheldrake Lane.

A community speedwatch scheme was established in 2017, focused on the A19, but had to be discontinued when this was made into a police camera van location.

Specific speeding concerns can be reported on the North Yorkshire Police website:

Street lights

For historic reasons street lights in some roads are maintained by NYCC and others by the Parish Council. (Dower Chase, Dower Park, Woodlands, Carrs Meadow and Escrick Park Gardens are all NYCC, with the remainder maintained by the Parish Council).

The Parish Council, based upon external advice, during 2016 replaced all concrete lampposts with metal ones, and replaced all traditional 80w lamps with modern 20w LED lamps. This will reduce long term electricity and maintenance costs, and address safety concerns associated with concrete lamp posts.

The Parish Council is aware that in some parts of the village there is limited street lighting, and has made provision in its budget for 2017-2018 to procure two additional lights (with the intention of procuring more in subsequent years). Faults with street lights can be reported online at

Dog mess

Periodically we have problems with dog mess left on pavements within the village. Selby District Council have adopted the Dogs (Fouling of Land) Act which allows them to prosecute owners of offending dogs, with a maximum fine of £1000.

The Parish Council has erected warning signs and on occasions has used paint to highlight offending areas.

You can report fouling to Selby District Council here:

Hedges / trees obstructing pavements, signs and/or street lights

A common problem reported to the Parish Council is overgrown hedges and trees, obstructing pavements, street lights, or signs – or just generally being untidy.

The owner or occupier of a property has a legal responsibility (Highway Act 1980, s154) to ensure that the 'public highway' adjacent to their property is not obstructed by vegetation from their property. Local Authorities (in our case North Yorkshire County Council) also have a legal duty to ensure that public highways and street lights are unobstructed, and hence to act upon complaints about any such obstruction.

A 'public highway' means any verge, footway, carriageway, bridleway or footpath that is maintained at public expense and over which the public has a right of way. In the first instance we usually suggest a friendly reminder to the resident concerned – as most incidents are due to oversight rather than ill intent.

If the matter is not resolved, you can report obstructions to roads and pavements on the North Yorkshire county council website:

Parking on pavements

Whilst the highway code states that you should not park on pavements, the legal position for taking enforcement action against the parking of cars on pavements is less clear and is currently being reviewed by central Government. At present the Parish Council has no authority to take action against cars parked on pavements.

Nonetheless, we strongly encourage residents and their visitors not to park on pavements in the village – as this can obstruct the pavements particularly for prams/pushchair users. We also have a number of residents of the village who use wheelchairs. We have also had recent occurrence where water pipes running under the pavement have been damaged by cars parking on the pavement.

Gritting of pavements and roads

Gritting of public highways is the responsibility of North Yorkshire County Council, but the Parish Council also provides grit bins for public spirited residents to use to spread on public pavements and problematic patches of road. See our gritting page for more details.

Noise nuisance

A variety of noise concerns have been reported to the Parish Council – typically concerning businesses or events within the Parish.

The responsibility for managing noise pollution resides with Selby District Council. More information and the ability to complain online about noise pollution is available on their website :

Grass cutting

Village green / playing fields:

The Parish Council is responsible for grass cutting on the village green and the playing fields.

Grass verges:

Grass verges are classified as either 'rural grass' or 'urban grass'. Simplistically 'urban grass' is the verges within the 30mph/40mph area of Escrick village, and all other verges in the Parish are 'rural grass'.

'Rural grass' is the responsibility of NYCC, and in our Parish 'urban grass' is the responsibility of the Parish Council (the Parish Council currently receives a financial contribution from NYCC towards the cost of grass cutting).

Many residents and businesses maintain the verges outside their premises themselves - we are very grateful to them for doing this.

Most other 'urban' grass verges within the Parish are maintained by the Parish Council's subcontractor. This includes all areas of 'safety cut grass' (to preserve sight-lines at key junctions) which the Parish Council cuts on behalf of NYCC as it is more efficient to include these within the Parish Council's contract.

This attached map show the areas of grass cutting currently covered by the Parish Council's subcontractor.

Other maintenance of public areas

Roads and Pavements: 

  • Overhanging hedges/trees: Individual property owners are responsible for maintaining the hedges along the border with the public highway, and ensuring that these do not obstruct the road/pavement. 
  • Defects/cracks/potholes: NYCC highways are responsible for maintaining pavements
  • Moss, detritus, leaves: SDC are responsible for cleaning most pavements. 

Public footpaths: Public footpaths and permissive rights of way are usually the responsibility of the relevant land owner to maintain.

Private access roads: There are several private access roads/shared drives in the village, which are not adopted by the council. Usually these are the responsibility of the residents/landlords of the properties that they provide access to.  In some cases these access roads double-up as permissive rights of way/public footpaths, but the maintenance responsibility remains with the residents/landlords.

Other buildings: The Parish Council is responsible for maintaining the bus shelter on Main St, the war memorials, Coronation Benches and Jubilee fountain.

Gashouse woods: Gashouse woods is owned and maintained by the Escrick Park Estate

Village Green/Pond: The Village Green Association manages the village green on behalf of the Parish Council (contact via the Parish Council).

Playing Fields: The Escrick Playing Fields Association manages the maintenance of the playground and play equipment, including weekly visual safety checks, and full annual inspection.

Planning Concerns

Selby District Council is responsible for managing, and determining upon, planning applications in Escrick. SDC are obliged to consult Escrick Parish Council for its local knowledge for applications within the Parish – however the Parish Council can only provide information, it cannot prevent an application being approved.

The Parish Council has established a working group of council members, and a standard process for reviewing all applications and ensuring relevant local knowledge is fed into Selby’s decision making process.

See for more details.

Lorries cutting through the village

We are aware that lorries sometimes use Skipwith Road to access premises to the south of Escrick.

Although the Parish Council doesn’t have any statutory powers to prevent lorries using this route – we have written to various hauliers suggesting alternative routes for them to use, which has met with some success.

Communication within the village

An important role for the Parish Council is to disseminate information within the village. The Parish Council has an extensive website covering a wide range of Parish Council and other local village matters ( We have an email list so that people can be alerted by email to news, minutes and agendas amongst other things (see ).

We recognise not everyone uses the internet, and we endeavour to provide monthly updates via the Parish Magazine. We undertake door-drops of leaflets on significant topics.