This section provides information on ongoing initiatives and other significant issues of ongoing notable interest to residents of the Parish:
Neighbourhood Development Plan
The Parish Council has decided to developed a Neighbourhood Development Plan for the Parish.
More details are available on our Neighbourhood Development Plan page.
A19 safety concerns
The Parish Council is currently lobbying for safety improvements on the A19 through Escrick.
More details are available on our A19 safety page.
Minerals and waste:
There are several related, but slightly separate issues locally regarding minerals and waste:
- Minerals and waste plan: North Yorkshire County Council, City of York Council and the North York Moors National Park Authority are working together to produce a Minerals and Waste Joint Plan covering all three planning authority areas. When finalised the new Joint Plan will help the three authorities take decisions on planning applications for minerals and waste development up to 31 December 2030. See our Minerals and Waste Plan page for details and our previous responses.
- North Selby Mine site: This site features in the Minerals and Waste Plan and already has planning permission - see our archives for details.
- Plasmor application for extraction of clay west of A19: Plasmor recently submitted a request for an 'Environmental Impact Assessment' for clay mining west of the A19, and a new link road to Stillingfleet Road. This is not a planning application itself, but it a step that usually precedes a planning application. The Parish Council intends to be ready to respond when a planning application is submitted.
- Waste sorting centre at former Stillingfleet Mine: A planning application has been submitted to NYCC to convert part of the former Stillingfleet Mine site into a waste sorting centre - the Parish Council has submitted objections to this application. The application was due to be considered by NYCC's planning committee in July, but was deferred at the request of the applicant.
York and Selby Local Plans:
Both City of York Council, and Selby District Council are in the process of producing new Local Plans. A Lois a statement of planning strategy and vision for the area, which amongst other things outlines areas for development of new housing.
Both local plans potentially impact upon Escrick:
- The draft York plan previously proposing development on land immediately to the North of the village. This land has however been removed from the updated draft published in June 2016.
- The Selby plan expected to include other locations around the village in line with Escrick's status as a Designated Service Village.
- 'Plan Selby' consultation
- Proposed Housing Development Sites in Escrick as part of the City of York Local Plan.
The Royal Town Planning Institute provides a helpful summary of the purpose and process of creating local plans: http://www.rtpi.org.uk/media/1065641/the_local_pla...
Both North Yorkshire County Council and Escrick Parish Council have recently undertaken initiatives that affect the street lights provided in the village. The Parish Council is in the process of procuring a small number of additional street lights to address known dark spots.
See our street lighting page for more details.
North Selby Mine planning application (2013 - 2014)
Street Lighting Report (2014) - report into options to replace Street Lights in Escrick