The Village Green was established in 1997 as part of the Carrs Meadow development and is let on a long lease to the Parish Council from Escrick Park Estate. At that time the village green association (VGA) was set up to look after this area. The land previously formed part of a paddock and also a redundant sawmill that were owned by Escrick Park Estate. The 8 town houses opposite the village green are where the old farm buildings used to be.
Routine maintenance and development of the facilities on the green is delegated to the VGA. Its members are all volunteers who meet throughout the year to coordinate any development and maintenance works required or events scheduled to take place on the green.
Examples of some events held on the Green are set out below.
- Village Green Association - Annual BYO dinner with music and fireworks and at Christmas “Carols on the Green” to switch on the Christmas Tree lights
- Parent Teacher Association – Easter annual duck race on the beck on Carr Lane to raise funds for the Village School
- St Helen’s Church – have on occasions held their annual fair on the Green to raise funds for the Church
- Playing Field Association – hold a 10k run to raise funds for the maintenance and provision of play equipment on the Children’s Play Ground in the village.
- There have also been two major events held on the Green which were organised to enable residents of the village to commemorate the Queen’s Silver and Diamond Jubilees in 2002 and 2012.
Funds raised at events held on the green by the village organisations other than the VGA are used for the benefit of those organisations. All other funds raised by events specifically promoted by the VGA have been used over the years to provide bulb planting, additional trees, picnic benches and the wild flower corridors. In addition the VGA have been able to purchase a number of marquees and equipment from funds raised which are used at the various events on the green. The only financial responsibility that the Parish Council have on the village green is to pay for grass cutting and insurance.
The present Chair of the village green association is Steve Smowton and the secretary is Helen Pentith. Contact numbers for them are 728424 or 727902 respectively.
The village green association relies on the help of volunteers at all the events for the setting up of tents and equipment. If you are able to offer your help on a regular basis at these events please contact either Steve Smowton or Helen Pentith.