2009-10-26


26th October, 2009

MINUTES OF ESCRICK PARISH COUNCIL HELD ON MONDAY 26th OCTOBER 2009 AT ESCRICK & DEIGHTON SOCIAL CLUB

Present:
Mr Steve Smowton (chair)
Mr Brian Forster (vice-chair)
Mr Bill Reader
Mr Mike Russell
Mrs Lillian Coulson
Mr Peter Skilbeck

APOLOGIES:
Mr John Reader

Mr Charles Forbes Adam
Mrs Gina Mannix
Dr John Askham
Mrs Sara Cunningham
Mrs Liz Casling - North Yorkshire County Councillor and Selby District Councillor

MINUTES OF LAST MEETING
Confirmed as a true record.

POLICE REPORT
A warning about four men in dark clothing claiming to be collectors from RSPCA. Residents to be aware of them and to clarify their authenticity before parting with any cash.

MATTERS ARISING:
ESCRICK PLAYING FIELDS

Picnic tables have arrived. Grass matting will be delivered after payment. They are still negotiating on goal posts.

FLOODING
Sewage and flooding problems again at The Parsonage Hotel at the beginning of October. The blockage was cleared on the A19 which simply moved the blockage to Main Street. This was cleared very promptly. Yorkshire Water would like to close the A19 overnight to enable them to give a thorough cleaning of the sewers. The chair has written to MP John Grogan informing him of these latest events and also to inform him about a meeting Yorkshire Water were proposing last August to determine what could be done to solve this solution but nothing has been reported since

MAINTENANCE OF ‘GREEN' AREAS
Dean Landscapes quoted a sum between £30 - £40 to keep the area between the electricity sub station and Main Street cleared which they will carry out 3 to 4 times a year. Mr Russell proposed and Mrs Coulson seconded to go ahead with their quotation. The clerk to inform Dean Landscapes.
Action VC

NORTH YORKSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL - FOOTPATHS
The clerk reported that if the lights affected by overhanging branches belonged to the Parish it would be our responsibility to ask the owners of the offending branches to cut them back. The areas of lighting belonging to Escrick Parish Council are Carrs Meadow, Dower Chase, Dower Park, Escrick Park Gardens and Woodlands.
Mr Reader reported that the lights at Carr Lane near to the entrance of the primary school are still obscured by branches. Clerk to report this to the Highways.
Action VC

North Yorkshire have contacted the house whose branches obscure the speed limit sign and as he is only a tenant he was contacting his landlord to inform them about this. Mark Lumby is going to continue to monitor the situation. The hedge along the A19 is making the pavement very narrow and dangerous. Clerk will report this to Highways.
Action VC

The chair will report to City of York the area from the Thai restaurant to the petrol station needs attention.
Action SS

Mrs Cunningham reported the 30mph sign on Skipwith Road near Wenlock Drive is obscured by overhanging branches. The clerk to report this to Mark Lumby North Yorkshire Highways.
Action VC

SALT BINS
Clerk to ask Mrs Mannix for a progress report.
Action VC

CHEAPER ELECTRICITY SUPPLIER
North Yorkshire County Council require a full inventory of all lights in the parish. The councillors were given areas and will make an inventory of all lights in the parish. Deadline for this inventory is the next parish council meeting.
Action: All on roster

PLANNING PORTAL EQUIPMENT GRANT
Mr Forster attended the meeting. Selby District Council are working towards all parish councils becoming electronic and have grants from BT and Awards For All. Further information is awaited.

VEHICLE ACTIVATED SIGNS ON THE A19
These have been installed and are operational. The range of the one situated near Skipwith Road junction needs to be extended.
Action SS

DUCKS
Mr Russell reported the Village Green Committee are in agreement with replenishing the ducks. Mr Forster has contacted the RSPCA and when they have some ducks in need of re-housing, they will contact him.

STORE FOR VILLAGE GREEN COMMITTEE
The committee have produced plans for a wooden built structure to be located adjacent to the electricity substation on Carrs Meadow. If the structure is less than 200 cubic metres, height of no more than 4 metres, no planning permission is required. Mrs Coulson will check with Planning to ensure that we can proceed.
Action LC

LETTER TO VILLAGE HALL COMMITTEE
The chair has written to the chair of the Village Hall Committee congratulating them on the excellent refurbishment of the hall.

ESCRICK AND DEIGHTON SOCIAL CLUB NOTICES
The complaints received have been addressed satisfactorily.

NOTICE IN PARISH MAGAZINE REGARDING POLICE VISITS
The notice has been placed in the magazine.

MRS CASLING'S REPORT
Mrs Casling reported she has been asked if we wish to change the current designation of Escrick village as a secondary village to primary under the incoming Local Development Framework. This primarily means changing the level of permitted development within the village: a secondary village has very limited options for this of which half must be affordable. Primary status allows much larger scale development not a large amount though. The impact being also one of sustainability for the village in relation to services etc which Escrick does have.
The councillors had no objections to this change.

ACCOUNTS

The accounts are in credit

A/c No 1 £4869.93
A/c No 2 £3889.99

It was agreed to pay:
Escrick & Deighton Social Club £10.00
Mrs Cumberland - broadband - October £13.70
Dean Landscapes £608.93
Postage £4.90
Duchamp Solingen grass mats for EPFA £267.31

PLANNING APPLICATIONS

The Parsonage's planning application for a leisure complex to appeal. Withdrawn

8/10/16/10/PA - extension to roof to the rear including dormer at 8 The Glade Escrick - no objections - SDC permission granted

8/10/61A/PA - erection of a two storey extension to the rear, carport with studio above to the side, porch to the front, gazebo and greenhouse in the garden at 7 Woodlands Escrick - no objections in principal but query use of slate tiles on porches and car port rather than existing tiles. Also complaint about boundary problems with No 9 in regard to erection of car port. Suggest site visit to discuss with neighbour before approval.

8/10/160B/PA - carry out works to willow tree T164 of TPO 1/1993 at 29 The Glade Escrick - No objections

8/10/144C/PA - carry out works to oak tree (T1) under TPO 5/1984 at Oaklands 3 Dower Park Escrick - no objections

8/10/36E/PA - fell or pollard sycamore tree within TPO 4/1977 3 Dower Chase Escrick

CORRESPONDENCE
Selby District Council parish requirements for 2010/2011 to be submitted by 6th January 2010. It was agreed to request that this be increased to £9,500.
Action: VC

YLCA - request from Sherburn Parish Council re: website Clerk to reply.
Action VC

ANY OTHER BUSINESS

It was agreed a donation of £1,500 be given to the Village Green Committee.

Mr Russell - fences around Carr Lane need replacing at an estimated cost of £27/per metre which is not financially viable. The strimming of the grass at Carrs Meadow is damaging the posts. They propose to place steel sleeves on the posts for protection.

Mr Skilbeck will check school dates for next year and give them to the clerk.
Action PS

DATE OF NEXT MEETING: Monday 7th December 2009