2008-06-30


30th June, 2008

MINUTES OF ESCRICK PARISH COUNCIL HELD ON MONDAY 30th JUNE 2008 AT ESCRICK & DEIGHTON SOCIAL CLUB

Present:
Mr Brian Forster (vice-chair)
Mr Bill Reader
Mr Charles Forbes Adam
Mr Mike Russell
Mrs Lillian Coulson
Mrs Carole Wainwright
Mr John Reader
Mrs Liz Casling (North Yorkshire County Councillor and Selby District Councillor)

APOLOGIES:
Mr Steve Smowton (Chair)
Mrs Gina Mannix
Mr Ian Reynolds
Mr Peter Skilbeck

Mr Forster chaired the Meeting

ALYSON LINNEGAR THE AFFORDABLE HOUSING OFFICER FOR SELBY DISTRICT COUNCIL

Mr Forster welcomed Alyson Linnegar and Carolyn Vaughan Downes , the rural housing enabler. Carolyn will be taking over in Selby and will be our contact in the future. The housing survey was carried out in January this year and the response had been good at 47% replies. A response of 28% indicated their need for housing in the area, in total 23 houses. The majority had a connection with the village and some were for part ownership. The Rural Housing Trust analysed the results and their recommendation is that around ten properties would satisfy this need. A suggestion was they will be two and three bed, bungalows and houses. Carolyn Vaughan Downes will send the report out to all councillors and after everyone has read and endorsed the report then the Parish Council will vote if they would like to co-operate with Carolyn. Carolyn will email and send hard copies out to all councillors. The parish need to endorse this survey and correct any factual errors and contact Carolyn. When the survey report has been endorsed by the Parish Council they would search for possible sites for up to 10 dwellings which could accommodate rural housing. It is possible to build affordable housing for local people in green belt areas. When the site has been found Selby would bring in a housing association as the partner. Planning permission has to be applied for and this would be subject to a legal agreement and it would only be for local people in the first instance. The a cascade arrangement would take place where it would be offered to adjoining parishes. Selby together with housing association will try and make the properties as affordable as they are able. A decision about how much these houses will be will depend at the time they have been built and the property prices at the time. Housing Association will come to the Council and the Parish Council will be able to advise of anyone they know who needs housing. Mr Russell stated that housing association fill the vacancies without consulting the local parish council but Alyson Linnegar assured the meeting that priority would be given to someone who lives locally who needs housing before it was offered to residents from outside the area. Carolyn will work with the parish council to alleviate any fears we have about this.
Mr Forster thanked them for attending the meeting.

MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING WERE READ AND MR RUSSELL PROPOSED THESE BE APPROVED AND THIS WAS SECONDED BY MR BILL READER.

MATTERS ARISING:
ESCRICK PLAYING FIELD

Woodland Walks - Mr John Reader is going to strim round the trees this next week. Mr Forster to clarify with Mr Smowton what arrangements have been made about strimming the remainder of this area.
Action BF

PROPOSAL FOR A BY-PASS AT ESCRICK
Questionnaires to be completed by today and on Wednesday 3rd July the sub-committee will meet to count these and report the results in the August issue of the parish magazine. Mrs Casling was thanked for providing the collection box which had been in the post office and the clerk to write to the post office thanking them for allowing the collection box to be at the shop.
Action VC

VICTORIA JUBILEE FOUNTAIN
The work has been done and it looks very smart. Mr Bill Reader cut the grass around the fountain today. The council thanked Mr Bill Reader for all his work in initiating this project. Mr Smowton has informed the other company who quoted that they were not successful. It was unanimously agreed that the bill for the stone cleaning be paid as soon it is received.

CARR LANE SEWAGE PROBLEMS
Mrs Price has received a letter from Yorkshire Water which stated they were unable to install more powerful pumps because it will have a great effect at the treatment works efficiency which cannot handle greater volumes of sewage at the same time. Mr Forbes Adam suggested that a working sub-committee is formed and work together with the primary school and Queen Margaret's and as a united front may bring more weight to bear onto Yorkshire Water.
Mr Forster to discuss this with Mr Smowton.
Action BF

NPOWER WROTE INFORMING US OF THEIR PRICE INCREASES
Clerk to contact YLCA to inform them that we have administration charges on every bill. The present bills are not to be paid until we have clarification.
Action VC

It was proposed that alternative quotes for provision of electricity from other electric companies be sought.

TARMAC STREET LIGHTING
The price schedule was shown to the meeting and accepted but to review ongoing costs

GRAFFITI
Mrs Wainwright has been unable to clean the graffiti. Alternative methods to remove graffiti to be considered. The clerk to contact Highways to report the graffiti on the bollards on the A19 as this is a safety issue.
Action VC

PLAQUE TO COMMEMORATE MR BILL READER'S TREE
The village green committee have agreed to allow a plaque to be placed at this tree. In principal the meeting agreed unanimously to provide a plaque. Clerk to obtain quotes.
Action: VC

ACCOUNTS are in credit as follows:
A/c No 1: £6850.39
A/c No 2: £63.01
A/c No 3: £34.50

It was agreed to pay:
Escrick & Deighton Social Club: £10.00
Mrs V Cumberland - broadband Jun / Jul & postage: £36.24
NPOWER: £1588.41
NPOWER: £131.37
NPOWER: £49.27
NPOWER: £62.27
NPOWER: £0.07
Lewis Tree Surgery: £1400.60
North Yorkshire County Council - right of way lease: £25.00
It was unanimously agreed to pay the bill for the cleaning of the fountain from Stone Cleaning Services when the clerk receives it.

PLANNING APPLICATIONS
8/10/238/PA

Proposed single storey rear extension 23 Main Street Escrick - no objections - permission granted by SDC

8/10/239/PA
Conversion of outbuilding into utility and part raise the roof height of outbuilding to the rear Fountain Cottage 35 Main Street Escrick - no objections

8/10/21J/PA
Erection of single storey garden room to the south elevation of existing dwelling and erection of a 2.4m high garden wall on the western boundary of the site The Granary Wheldrake Lane Escrick - no objections other than tiles and bricks should match existing dwelling

ANY OTHER BUSINESS

Mr Forbes Adam said like the memorial is looking rather un-kempt and he requested if the Parish Council could have this area maintained by Deans Landscape on a regular basis.

Mr John Reader requested if the lights in the village all could be the same quality and wattage. The tree at the lights at the memorial to be trimmed back as it casts a shadow. Clerk to ask Tarmac Lighting to inspect all the lights in the village and uniform the bulbs. Quotes to be obtained for both before work to be approved. Mr Bill Reader to request Neal Hale to trim the trees at the memorial.
Action: VC / BR

Mrs Lilian Coulson would like the footpath from Skipwith Road to Main Street to be repaired. Mr Bill Reader will request the Estate office to deal with this.
Action BR

Mr Russell requested for litter bins be replaced back where residents put them out in front of their drives and not left along the pavements as this is a hazardous for pedestrians. Clerk to contact the Environmental Office.
Action: VC

Mrs Mannix has received a quote to apply Roundup to the trees in the paddock. Mr Smowton proposed an article in the parish magazine asking for volunteers who have sprayers, petrol strimmers or hedge cutters if they would be willing to spend a small amount of time tidying up the village in the summer. The meeting rejected this proposal against this.

DATE OF NEXT MEETING Monday 8th September 2008