2009-06-29


29th June, 2009

MINUTES OF ESCRICK PARISH COUNCIL HELD ON MONDAY 29TH JUNE 2009 AT ESCRICK & DEIGHTON SOCIAL CLUB

Present:
Mr Steve Smowton (chair)
Mr Brian Forster (vice-chair)
Mrs Gina Mannix
Mr Peter Skilbeck
Mr Bill Reader
Mr Mike Russell
Mrs Lillian Coulson
Mr John Reader
Mrs Liz Casling - North Yorkshire County Councillor and Selby District Councillor

APOLOGIES:
Mr Charles Forbes Adam

Re: NORTH SELBY MINE SITE
The chair declared the meeting open.
The chair welcomed Mr. Andy Gurnell from Science City York and Miss Clare Harron who represents BNP Paribas Real Estate, planning consultants for UK Coal.
Mr. Andy Gurnell reported that UK Coal wanted to re-develop the North Selby Mine Site. Science City York wanted a site for their Biorenewables project which is fuel materials and speciality chemicals made from things that can be grown. This was to be a centre where cutting edge world class biorenewables researched and developed can be performed working alongside the University of York. Small scale companies in this area would be on site, and it would also be an educational site to promote an understanding to the public about biorenewables. Concerns were raised by Mrs. Coulson about whether this would become too commercial and therefore increase traffic in the area. Mrs. Casling raised the issue of the needs and concerns of this village. She stated the promise originally was to return this site to agricultural use and she questioned why Riccall Mine site is not being used as they already have industrial use planning permission. Mr. Gurnell replied that North Selby Mine Site had been chosen as it was nearer to the University of York.
Miss Clare Harron spoke about the buildings which are already on the site at present. At present Network Rail was the only company operating from this site. The number of personnel on site would be estimated to be around 150 and on average of 100 per day plus up to 60 visitors. This was a figure considerably less than when the site was a coal mine. Mrs. Casling noted that this was only an estimation. They are not proposing to add any additional buildings but Mrs. Casling noted that this could change and this was a major development in a green belt. Miss Harron said the buildings would only be re-furbished and not demolished and no more buildings were planning to be built. Mrs. Coulson felt that this was only phase one and buildings could in the future be added.
The planned CHP gasification plant would have a 20 metre high chimney stack and Miss Harron stated that an environmental impact assessment will be done on this chimney. Miss Harron gave an open invitation to the meeting to visit the site.
The chair said that when there have been applications for large developments the parish council have produced a questionnaire for all the residents to enable them to give their views. Mr. Gurnell is happy to co-operate with this. It was suggested that a public consultation with an exhibition should be held preferably in the evenings and weekends. Notification of this could be placed in the parish magazine.
The chair thanked them for coming to the meeting.

The chair declared the meeting closed

MINUTES OF LAST MEETING
Confirmed as a true record.
Chair to write to Mr Reynolds thanking him for his services as parish councillor.
Action: SS

MATTERS ARISING:
ESCRICK PLAYING FIELDS

Mrs Mannix reported she has arranged for strimming around the trees. Footpath is now cleared and nettles have been removed. The hedge is going to be cut along the A19 after the 31st July as there is wild life in this hedge. New goal posts are to be purchased with grant money from Selby District Council and these will be erected by the Football Association. Mrs Mannix is proposing to purchase two benches. Thanks were given to Mr Laurie Pentith for dealing with the nettles so promptly.

FLOODING
A meeting with MP John Grogan Friday 3rd July at 1.40pm at the Scott Road Community Centre.

MAINTENANCE OF STREET LIGHTS
A Priced Bill of Quantities received from Tarmac Lighting.

ESTATE - ALLEYWAY
The Estate Office confirmed this area has been cleared.

DISTRIBUTION LIST
This list to be sent to all councillors.

MAINTENANCE OF ‘GREEN' AREAS
The chair and clerk agreed to make a list of areas of ‘green' areas around the village to establish which ones are covered and those which are not. We will arrange for a tender to go out on these areas.
Action: SS/VC

POLICE REPORT
None provided.

MAINTENANCE OF ‘GREEN' AREAS
The majority of the work is carried out by Deans Landscapes. The Chair will approach Deans to see if the area near the electricity sub-station can be included in Deans current work.
Action: SS

SEWAGE AT SCHOOL
The school were contacted about this and confirmed this was not sewage.

NORTH YORKSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL - FOOTPATHS
R Lumby from North Yorkshire County Council Highways Department wrote that he regretted that they do not have the resources to inspect the footways on a regular frequent basis as requested. The A19 and Skipwith Road are inspected monthly the rest of the highway network in the village is inspected annually.
He suggests that if there are particular problems such as overhanging branches and overgrown hedges that such issues are reported to his office as they arise for appropriate hazard inspections to be arranged.
Mr Reader requested that the footpath on the A19 from the jubilee fountain up to Stillingfleet Road junction be cleared as it has become too narrow and the trees are overhanging, The clerk to request this area to be cleared.
Action: VC

WEB PAGE
The chair reported this has been updated with the current councillors' details.

VEHICLE ACTUATED SIGNS ON THE A19
Mrs Casling questioned the original report which turned down the request for traffic lights at the junction of Skipwith Road and the A19 as this was the preferred choice. Access is the issue and not speeding. Mrs Casling proposes to hold a site meeting to let them evaluate the situation as crossing the road to the surgery is a major concern.

STILLINGFLEET AND WISTOW MINE SITE
Mrs Casling reported that Enforcement Notices are to be given to return these sites to agriculture.

ELECTION OF NEW COUNCILLORS
The statutory notice has been on the notice board and there has been no response, which means that the parish council can co-opt members onto the council. A notice has been placed in the parish magazine this month advertising the vacant places.

ACCOUNTS
The accounts are in credit as follows:
A/c No 1: £2,000.00
A/c No 2: £3,408.87

It was agreed to pay:
Escrick & Deighton Social Club: £10.00
Mrs V Cumberland - broadband (June / July / August): £41.10
Internal auditor: £60.00
NYCC - right of way: £25.00
Npower: £76.98
Npower: £117.34
Npower: £1891.03
Npower: £94.40
Postage: £8.43
Deans Landscapes Ltd: £811.90

PLANNING APPLICATIONS
The Parsonage have taken their planning application for a leisure complex to appeal. Mrs Coulson and Mr Forster will review previous comments focusing on the highways aspect and submit this to the appeal.
Action: BF/LC

Installation of 2000 litre underground LPG calor tank to the front of 2 Carrs Meadow, Escrick - no objections

CORRESPONDENCE
Selby District Council
wrote to inform us that dustbin collections are going to fortnightly from 1st October with a plastic waste collection added. Mrs Casling reported that this cannot be changed.

Mr Bill Reader wrote that the church clock has revealed wear on the winding gear and requested if the Parish Council could give a donation towards the estimated cost of £1,620.00 + VAT. The chair reported that money cannot be given so early in the financial year when only £250 is available for discretionary spending, but this to be reviewed at the end of the year.

Catherine Hill, a resident at Woodlands complained about dogs fouling outside her gate. Contact Environmental Health's dog warden.
Action: VC

Alleyway from Carr Meadow in to Gassy Wood. The clerk to contact Estate office to tidy this area.
Action: VC

Department for children schools & families: Chair has requested further information.

ANY OTHER BUSINESS
Weeds to be cleared on the Bollards at the junction of A19 and Carr Lane. Clerk to report this to North Yorkshire County Council Highways.
Action: VC

Chair congratulated the village green committee on planting the wild flowers and the installation of three picnic benches by the pond.

Mrs Mannix reported that there was debris in the alleyway between Carrs Meadow and Main Street. The Chair asked for an update if QMS did not respond to her request for action.

Mr Skilbeck requested that the Village Hall be placed on the next agenda.

Mr John Reader requested a note to be placed in the parish magazine requesting owners of dogs to be more responsible with their pets.
Action: SS

DATE OF NEXT MEETING: Monday 14th September, 2009