2009-09-21


21st September, 2009

MINUTES OF ESCRICK PARISH COUNCIL HELD ON MONDAY 21ST SEPTEMBER 2009 AT ESCRICK & DEIGHTON SOCIAL CLUB

Present:
Mr Steve Smowton (chair)
Mr Brian Forster (vice-chair)
Mr Charles Forbes Adam
Mrs Gina Mannix
Mr Bill Reader
Mr Mike Russell
Mrs Lillian Coulson
Mrs Liz Casling - North Yorkshire County Councillor and Selby District Councillor

APOLOGIES:
Mr Peter Skilbeck
Mr John Reader

MINUTES OF LAST MEETING
Confirmed as a true record.

MATTERS ARISING:
ESCRICK PLAYING FIELDS

Mrs Mannix thanked the Village Green Committee and Escrick Park Estate for their support during their annual 10k run which raised approximately £2,300. There had been more runners entering the race than the previous year. Next year's 10k run is to be held on 22nd August 2010. The Chair gave the meeting's congratulations to Gina and Sally for organising this event so successfully.
Equipment funding has been given by SDC from an Open Spaces grant not used at Stillingfleet of £1300. New football posts and nets have been purchased and the groundsman from York City Football has volunteered to help erect these at no cost. They have also applied for replacement benches.
Mrs Mannix reported that last Saturday night youths had entered the paddock and took the fencing off the school and set it on fire. They had also snapped one tree and damaged another. The police have been informed.
Mrs Mannix reported that her husband has spent several hours strimming the path and hedges around the playing fields and in the old paddock area. It was noted that the path from Main St to the school entrance and from there to the playing field is leased to the Local Education Authority and it is their responsibility to maintain these hedges.

Chair declared the meeting open

FLOODING
When there is heavy rain the pumping station cannot cope with the capacity of water. There have been two major incidents of flooding and the Chair had taken pictures and produced these at the meeting with MP John Grogan. No decision has been reached on this issue.
Mr Bill Reader reported that sewage was coming out of the man-hole on the A19 and he had informed The Parsonage Hotel about this.

Chair declared the meeting closed.

MAINTENANCE OF ‘GREEN' AREAS - deferred to next meeting.

NORTH YORKSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL - FOOTPATHS
Highways have inspected the footpath and are clearing it. They say the pavement needs attention but is on a low priority budget fund list.

ELECTION OF NEW COUNCILLORS
Two residents attended tonight's meeting. The chair informed them that if they are interested in becoming parish councillors they should inform the clerk.

ALLEYWAY FROM CARR MEADOW IN TO GASSY WOOD
This has been cleared.

WEEDS TO BE CLEARED ON THE BOLLARDS AT THE JUNCTION OF A19
The annual weed killing programme is currently being undertaken and the weeds on the traffic island will be treated as part of this programme.

Chair declared the meeting open

VILLAGE HALL
Opening of the new extended building to be on 7th November 2009. Chair would like to congratulate the village hall committee on their new extension to the hall and he will send a letter to the Committee.
Action: SS

Chair declared the meeting closed

ACCOUNTS
The accounts are in credit as follows:
A/c No 1: £659.20
A/c No 2: £1,236.87

It was agreed to pay:
Escrick & Deighton Social Club: £10.00
Mrs V Cumberland - broadband (September): £13.70
Postage: £4.59
Lewis Tree Surgery: £207.00
NALC - subs: £13.50
Dean Landscapes: £405.95
Dean Landscapes: £405.95
Escrick Park Estate: £10.00
Tarmac Lighting: £74.50
Mazars: £178.35
Staples - toner: £62.40

PLANNING APPLICATIONS
The Parsonage's planning application for a leisure complex to appeal.
Inquiry date 30 September 2009 to 1st October 2009 has been cancelled.

8/10/16/10/PA - extension to roof to the rear including dormer at 8 The Glade Escrick - no objections

8/10/61A/PA - erection of a two storey extension to the rear, carport with studio above to the side, porch to the front, gazebo and greenhouse in the garden at 7 Woodlands Escrick.
No objections in principal but query use of slate tiles on porches and car port rather than existing tiles. Also complaint about boundary problems with No 9 in regard to erection of car port. Suggest site visit to discuss with neighbour before approval.

CORRESPONDENCE
North Yorkshire County Council asking if the Parish Council would like to purchase additional salt bins. It was agreed to have one located at Carrs Meadow. Mrs Mannix to get a map showing the exact location.
Action: GM

North Yorkshire County Council have a cheaper electricity supplier for footway lighting and requested an inventory of all lighting in the village to be sent to them to get an estimate of costs. The clerk had already sent them C E Electric's inventory which was not sufficient. If needed a manual inventory to be undertaken by the councillors.
Action: VC

Selby District Council sent details of the new alternate bin collection dates. Mrs Casling reported that there is a web site with full information about the new collections and details for any residents having problems getting the boxes to the boundary can apply for their boxes to be collected from the house.

Selby District Council wrote advising of a presentation to take place on Tuesday 13th October 2009 at the Civic Centre Selby at 4pm to give advice of grants available for a limited time for parish councils to purchase electronic equipment from the planning portal equipment grant. Mr Forster to attend.

Email from David Bolton complaining about notices being left around the villages long after the events have taken place.
Action: VC to inform Club

ANY OTHER BUSINESS
MRS CASLING'S REPORT
Vehicle Activated Signs on the A19. These signs should be completed within the next two weeks. One is placed northbound before Skipwith Road junction as this is the point vehicles will slow down before the junction.
Traffic lights are still on a low priority list and the situation with the VAS is going to be monitored.

Peter Oxley from the Integrated Passenger Transport Department informed that with effect 26th October 2009 the 415 service between Selby and York will be reduced from four buses to three an hour. He says: Consolidation of this service is based upon the need to improve reliability, and maintain the commercial viability of the routs. Arriva Yorkshire are meeting with Integrated Passenger Transport to discuss a marketing strategy in order to improve patronage.

North Yorkshire County Council have to reduce their budget and in the future services will be reduced.

New Declarations of Acceptance of offers need to be signed by all councillors.
Action: all councillors

Mrs Mannix reported that ducks have been reduced at the village green and would like to have them replenished. Brian Forster will contact the RSPCA about the possibility of donating ducks to the pond, and the Village Green Committee will consider the matter at their next meeting.
Action: BF
Village green committee to follow up.

Mr Russell on behalf of the Village Green Committee requested they would like to build a permanent store on the land near the sub station at Carr Meadows to store all their equipment which at present is being stored at a farm on Wheldrake Lane. He requested if the Parish Council would support their planning application for a brick building, the size to be in the region of 12ft square. The Village Green Committee have in the past applied for a temporary building on this site and that had been rejected on the grounds that this site is in the conservation area. The lease of the sub station could stipulate that no buildings can be placed nearby and Mrs Coulson will investigate this and talk to the Estate. Mr Forbes Adam is not in favour of a permanent building on this land but has no objections to a temporary building at this site.
Action: LC/MR

Mr Russell reported that the fencing around green needs replacing as some of the posts have been damaged by the grass cutter and some are rotting.

Mr Bill Reader reported the light at the Fountain is covered by the trees and 30mph sign is blocked by foliage. Trees are also obscuring the light on Carr Lane near the school and also at the memorial. The clerk to report these to the Highways.
Action: VC

POLICE REPORT
Selby Safer Neighbourhood Police Team are providing a ‘bus style' mobile police office with dedicated dates, times and locations covering four routes known as 'Route 4 You'.
A mobile police station will be in the village at 2pm - 3pm on the following dates which are primarily Saturday / Sundays:
11/10/09
07/11/09
05/12/09
02/01/10
30/01/10
19/02/10
06/03/10
27/03/10
The Chair will put a note in the Parish Magazine regarding this.
Action: SS

DATE OF NEXT MEETING: Monday 26th October 2009